Friday 1 June 2012

Gibson, Les Paul Guitar Cake

So I just finished this cake yesterday for someone I work with, they originally asked for the cake to be as big as I could make it with money been no object. However when I advised what size of cake I could make and the cost, it became an object! :)

So I ended up scaling this one down to be 28 inches long instead of real Les Paul Guitar sized. Something that big would have been a nightmare to deliver anyway!


 I added an Amp as I had more cake left over and I didn't want to waste it. The cake is a chocolate with chocolate butter cream. I covered the whole of the cake in white fondant icing to start with, then I used a mixture of yellow, caramel, red and dark brown food colouring neat from the containers to pain the wood effect. Starting from the middle and pulling out with a paint brush. The side of the guitar was air brushed, took about 5 coats of different colours, red, black, caramel and dark brown to get the right effect.


The neck of the guitar is painted with black food colouring which gave it a nice sine. All of the little parts have been made from fondant icing with a hardening agent added, they have then been painted with gold or silver edible paint.

The crowning achievment I think was the strings which in its self took an hour to do. They are fishing string tied around a little metal hook and then slotted into the base where the strings would normally start and then it is tied to a cocktail stick which is inserted into the cake at the head end and then has a small piece of icing put over the top to hide this.


I really enjoyed doing this and it's been a while since I did something so details but it is one of the best cakes if not the best I have done I feel.


4 comments:


  1. I havent any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us.
    GIbson Les Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible !!! Would you ever make another the exact same? If yes how much would it cost?
    Lotte

    ReplyDelete