Friday 1 June 2012

Ruby Slipper Cake

This is a cake I have had to do a few times, each time the kitchen and the cats have never fully recovered from the red glitter attack. I has been done in chocolate and vanilla, the base of the case is another custom job. I get my now husband to make the heal of the shoe out of hard foam as I can't touch the stuff. I then spray and cover this foam heal with foil so it is safe for the cake to rest on. I also have to cut some 3mm cake board into the soul of the shoe to rest the cake on and build up from there.



You make a the shoe shape and put it in the fridge to set for about 2 hours, while this is going on it gives you time to cut out all the little red circle to stick on the shoe like sequins. When the cake is set you can then cover the cake in a layer of red fondant after putting a little black insert in for the inside of the shoe. then you can start to stick the circles on, I have no idea how many it takes I just usually keep going from the heal up till the cake is covered. It takes a while but is totally worth it!


Then I do two things, I spray the cake with a metallic mother of pearl spray to give a slight shine but then have to manually dust the cake in red glitter and white holographic glitter. This doesn't cover every part of the cake but adds to the illusion.


Time consuming but I very fun cake and people's reactions are great!

No comments:

Post a Comment