Saturday 6 August 2011

Ferrari Car Cake

This cake was a vanilla and jam cake. I start the car cakes off by baking an 8 inch by 12 inch slab of cake, and then I divide the cake into 3 sections. 2 which are roughly 5 inch's wide and the smaller piece is then cut to make the top of the car.

Then its just a matter of shaping the cake best you can depending on what type of car you are doing. I find that usually using a really thick vanilla butter icing is the best thing to get all the curves and dents on the vehicle. Believe it or not I have some plasticine modeling tools that I use. (They have never been used on plasticine so no worries there).

I would leave the cake to cool in a fridge for about a minimum of 2 hours, then apply the fondant icing. I find to get it as smooth a possible and then work back into it, to shape the doors and windows and so on. At this point I would recommend popping it back in the fridge for another hour at minimum to let the fondant set a little.

I then tend to cut the windows out using a craft knife (for cake use only), and then roughly cut a piece of black or white fondant for the windows and pop it in, trimming where needed. I do the same for the wheels and the lights and some times if there is a grid on the front. Bumpers and little wing mirrors with handles and wheels all get made and put on as you make them.

To put a finishing tough on the car cakes I have an air brush and compressor. I mix a little 'Mother of Pearl' Powder with some water and then air brush the cake before I put things like the registration or any piping detail on.

 Oooo, Red!
So there we have a car cake in the shape of a Ferrari. Please enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment